Thursday, March 18, 2010

Project 3 Letter Logo

When I first began choosing typefaces for my thumbnails, I chose ones that I hadn’t really worked with before. I wanted to use serif and sans serif types so that I had a variety of thumbnails. I knew I wanted to see how a flourished typeface and plainer typeface would look with my initials. I began developing ideas for my project by laying out my initials and seeing how they fit together using different types. I played around with sizing each letter differently and started placing the letters together. For one thumbnail, I connected the letters in a descending manner. In another, I placed a larger M on top of an e and c. In the last thumbnail, I placed the m on top of a smaller e and c, making a square shape.

The most challenging aspect to this project was trying to find the typeface and designing it in a fashion that represented me. The thumbnail I chose to go further with was the one with the larger m on top and the e and c underneath, I chose the typeface American Typewriter because it is flashy and plain at the same time. The letters fit well together and created unique positive and negative space. What helped my move through the project was finalizing what size the letters had to be to fit well together. Once I did that I could arrange them and then start thinking about color. I chose to leave the type black and create a green circle around the type because I wanted this to become a logo I could use. I chose lime green because it’s a bright, cheery color.

Wile using Illustrator, I got a chance to use the grid option in the background. I felt this tool was very useful because it allowed me to not have to depend on my eyes (like I have been doing) for aesthetic equality with the layout. This is something I will be using a lot more because it helps a lot.

My overall design involves harmony because I think with the letters placed the way they are, they create a pattern and are visually linked. My design depicts variety, dominance and proportion by the use of contrast from the larger m on top and the e and c on bottom. There is a sense of balance because of the symmetry created by the shapes of the e and c on the bottom (which have similar shapes) and the m on top, which has a symmetrical shape in itself. The design involves movement from the larger m being the focal point because of its size moving to the e and c. Economically, this design shows the essential message without being too boring.

Logo Sketches










Logo Final

No comments:

Post a Comment